Soil Testing Services
MB Laboratories Ltd. offers a complete line of soil testing services. Soil testing is the most accurate guide to your crop’s fertilizer requirements. A regular soil testing program will allow you to increase productivity and save money by utilizing the existing fertility already present in your soil.
Important Elements in Soil Fertility
- The application of lime neutralizes soil that is too acidic (low pH). It also provides calcium and makes other nutrients available to plants.
- Various plants require Nitrogen at different levels. Nitrogen can be added to the soil. Sandy soils normally require more Nitrogen than clay soils.
- Often present in the soil but not always in a form that plants can use.
- Deficient on many soils, Boron is required only in trace amounts. It can be added to the soil as long as the existing levels are low.
Some Commonly Asked Questions
The standard soil fertility test measures nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, and pH and provides recommendations for soil treatment.
Yes. A complete soil analysis measures all of the major and minor elements including nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, manganese, zinc, copper, cobalt and boron. Also included are pH and conductivity measurements plus recommendations for soil treatment.
Every two to three growing seasons.
- Collect samples from the top 8 inches (20 cm) of soil. For large areas collect soil from 10 different sites per acre. Collect these samples in clean pail.
- Combine multiple soil samples in a single clean baggie or container and mix well.
- Submit 1 to 2 cups of soil for analysis.
Note: Do not combine different soil types or soils with significantly different drainage levels into one sample.